Update on Tred Barta
HK
2009-07-01 14:10:00 UTC
Barta is one of my favorites, because of his personality and his
balls-out fishing and hunting adventures. He's doing his best to recover
from a spinal stroke. Barta hunts with a longbow and sometimes only with
a knife. Here's an update on his medical condition.

From the Vail Daily

Thursday, June 18, 2009
An Eagle man's accelerated course on life
Paralyzed by a stroke, TV host and Eagle resident Tred Barta is
determined to return to the backcountry
Scott Milller

DENVER — Tred Barta is just learning to use a wheelchair. But he's still
pretty good with a long bow, and looking forward to his first horseback
ride since a spinal stroke last month cost him the use of his legs.

After a stay at Denver Health Medical Center, Barta's now working — and
working hard — at Craig Rehabilitation Hospital in Denver. The product
of that work could keep him on TV. More important, he expects the work
he's doing now to let him hunt, fish and explore the backcountry again.

Barta, the host of “The Best and Worst of Tred Barta” on the Versus
cable channel, lives along Salt Creek near Eagle. He was getting ready
for a trip to Alaska for his TV show when his left leg went “gimp” on him.

“It wasn't sore,” he said, but he didn't have any power in the leg.
After a trip to the Steadman Hawkins Clinic, and a referral to Dr.
Thomas Palic's chiropractic clinic, Barta was feeling a little better.

Then he wasn't, and things went bad in a hurry.

He managed to drive himself to Palic's office in Edwards, at which point
his right leg started to fade out, too. Palic carried Barta to his car
and drove him to the emergency room at Vail Valley Medical Center. He
was taken to Denver by ambulance, and while he was being prepared for
surgery at Denver Health, one of the staff doctors stopped the procedure
because of a hunch.

That hunch — a spinal stroke — turned out to be right. Like a stroke in
the brain, a spinal stroke cuts off oxygen to nerves. Spinal strokes are
exceedingly rare, but the results often put victims into wheelchairs.

That's what's happened to Barta.

Test of philosophy
Barta has based much of his TV and writing career on a simple philosopy:
Do the best you can with what you have. Give Barta a chance, on TV, in a
magazine column or with a reporter in the room, and you're going to hear
about it.

“Anything easy isn't rewarding — it's boring,” Barta said. That's why he
doesn't use bait to draw animals to his hunting spots. He doesn't use
cameras connected to computers that tell him when an animal feeds at a
spot he's picked out.

His TV show displays real hunting, at least in the World According to
Barta. The slips, falls and failures all make it to the final edit.

In fact, he was preparing for his fourth trip to Alaska for black bear
when he had his stroke. He'd been shut out on his first three attempts,
all of which were documented on the TV show. Barta still uses a long bow
— a Ute hunter from the 1700s would recognize it.

And, he says, a 12-year-old bagging his first 50-pound doe is as big a
deal, or bigger, than the biggest trophy bagged by a veteran hunter.
It's that dedication to doing work the way it has been done for
generations that's earned Barta dedicated fans.

Barta claims to have received around a million e-mails from fans and
well-wishers, and there's a stack of letters at his room at Craig. One,
though, is special.

A member of an Indian tribe in Alaska wrote Barta with get-well wishes,
as well as a rare gift: An eagle feather, so he can once again spread
his wings in the outdoors.

Only American Indians can own eagle feathers, and the letter came with a
note from the sender explaining that it's a gift.

Obviously, Barta wishes he hadn't had a stroke. But the flood of good
wishes, and the work he's doing at Craig, has left him more certain than
ever he's on the right path.

“My philosophy's under test,” he said. “I'm proud to say my philosophy
is 100 percent solid. I'm not scared. All I can do is do 100 percent of
what I'm able to do with what God gave me.”

And Barta believes people are still willing to watch, read and listen.

“My greatest fear was that I wouldn't be able to take this situation and
inspire people,” he said. “But whoever needs (inspiration), they can hop
on my back and come along.”

Neighborly help
Barta's wife, Anni, hasn't been home much since Tred's stroke, but she
knows the place is in good hands and is being well watched, thanks to
their friends and neighbors.

“It's been like an old-time small village thing,” Anni said. “We have
really good neighbors.”

Mitch and Peggy Brasington took in some of the Barta's horses. Dick
Kesler, another neighbor, took the couple's dog, and Glen Miller helped
fix the road up to the ranch house.

“Nobody had to be asked,” Anni said. “They just did it.”

Other neighbors have stepped up, too.

Scott Cliver called on a recent Sunday morning from his church, where
the congregation had added the Bartas to the prayer list. And the folks
at the Eagle Pharmacy, who have gotten to know Barta over his five years
or so in the area, were the first to send flowers to Denver Health and
call regularly.

“It's just been overwhelming,” Barta said.

The outpouring help has left both Bartas overwhelmed, grateful, and,
apparently, changed.

Helping a helper
Barta said he's raised a lot of money over the years for various
charities and youth groups. He believes in old-school chivalry, too, so
he's been known to help old ladies across the street.

Now he's the one who needs help, which has been a brand-new experience.

“Nobody's ever helped me like that,” Barta said. “I've always been
healthy. Now, I have 60, 70 or 80 people helping me here at Craig. I'm
learning how to put my clothes on again.”

Barta's a huge fan of the folks at Craig: “There's no place in the world
like it,” he said.

But it's the little things that shake the couple these days.

“We're learning how important it is to offer encouragement, even if it's
just to say hi to someone,” Anni said. “When someone's kind to us,
that's what makes us cry.”

And Tred and Anni, married just a few years, have strengthened their own
bonds. Both say they couldn't have come through this ordeal without the
other.

“He's still my hero — he's still the same man,” Anni said.

And both are looking forward to the future.

While she's focused on one day at a time during Tred's recovery, Anni
already is looking forward to the months and years ahead up Salt Creek.
The house is going to need some remodeling, of course — and Anni's
looking for contractors — but there's no reason for either Tred or Anni
to think they won't be able to take horseback rides, or hunt from cover,
or go sportfishing again.

“Life's one big lesson,” Anni said. “And this is an accelerated course
right now.”

How to help:
Tred Barta's time at Denver Health Medical Center and Craig
Rehabilitation Hospital are going to run up some pretty scary bills.
Here are a couple of ways to help:

Donations are being accepted by the Vail Valley Charitable Fund. Send
them to:

P.O. Box 1275,

Avon, 81620

Or call 970-845-6339. Mention the donation is for Tred Barta. Donations
are tax deductible, and credit card payments can be made via the
internet at: www.vvcf.org.

Wells Fargo Bank in Eagle has established the Tred and Anni Barta
medical fund. Call 970-328-6361 to learn more.

Business Editor Scott N. Miller can be reached at 970-748-2930 or
***@vaildaily.com.
Gene
2009-07-01 14:36:58 UTC
Post by HK
Barta is one of my favorites, because of his personality and his
balls-out fishing and hunting adventures. He's doing his best to recover
from a spinal stroke. Barta hunts with a longbow and sometimes only with
a knife. Here's an update on his medical condition.
I wasn't aware of that. Good to hear he's making progress. His
personality is a little abrasive for me, but he's a bit easier to take
than Lindner and Parker who haven't quite sorted out whether they are
there for fishing or preaching.
--
Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1171

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." - Unknown

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm
HK
2009-07-01 14:49:40 UTC
Post by Gene
Post by HK
Barta is one of my favorites, because of his personality and his
balls-out fishing and hunting adventures. He's doing his best to recover
from a spinal stroke. Barta hunts with a longbow and sometimes only with
a knife. Here's an update on his medical condition.
I wasn't aware of that. Good to hear he's making progress. His
personality is a little abrasive for me, but he's a bit easier to take
than Lindner and Parker who haven't quite sorted out whether they are
there for fishing or preaching.
Hank Parker's personality makes me want to puke.

The dealer I bought my first outboard boat from in Jax was a friend of
Parker's (and many others on the pro bass trail - he was a ranger
dealer). He sold that dealership off...and the last time I was there, I
noticed it was owned and operated by Bass Pro Shops.

Anyway, after selling the dealership, he went to work for Parker as a
producer, I think, of some of his TV efforts. He was also overly
religious, but not as far out there as Parker.

Ron Lindner...well...I've never known what to make of him.
Loogypicker
And the WAFA lies start in 3, 2, 1........
D K
They started three minutes before you posted.
Zombie of Woodstock
2009-07-01 15:33:48 UTC
On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 10:36:58 -0400, Gene
Post by Gene
Post by HK
Barta is one of my favorites, because of his personality and his
balls-out fishing and hunting adventures. He's doing his best to recover
from a spinal stroke. Barta hunts with a longbow and sometimes only with
a knife. Here's an update on his medical condition.
I wasn't aware of that. Good to hear he's making progress. His
personality is a little abrasive for me, but he's a bit easier to take
than Lindner and Parker who haven't quite sorted out whether they are
there for fishing or preaching.
Al is a nice guy, just a little...um...different with respect
to...er...well let's just say different. I met him WAY back when
In-Fisherman first got rolling - reallly nice guy and he did a lot for
fresh water fishing with the scientific approach and a fairly good
bunch of writers and editors. I went small mouth fishing with him on
Lake Champlain and he really is a great fisherman - don't know why he
never went into tournament fishing.

Hank Parker? I never knew why Hank Parker ever made it - the guy has
all the personality of a rock. Hell of a fisherman though gotta give
him that.

The one that drives me nuts is Roland Martin.
Gene
2009-07-01 15:39:53 UTC
Post by Gene
Post by HK
[...]
Yeah, gotta agree with that...

HK
2009-07-01 16:52:44 UTC
Post by Gene
Post by HK
[...]
The one time I met Martin, he was very friendly and helpful, as was his
wife. I've posted this before...we had a great time at his marina, and
fishing out of it on the Big O.
Loogypicker
2009-07-05 13:51:10 UTC
Post by Gene
Post by HK
[...]
fishing out of it on the Big O.- Hide quoted text -
And you still can't tell us what one single VERY unique feature in his
marina is.

Vic Smith
2009-07-01 21:48:25 UTC
Post by Gene
Post by HK
[...]
Here's a neat little link with some fishing history.
http://www.mainmarine.com/articles/fishinghistory.html

You got me thinking about Fishing Facts, which was when I got
interested in the "science" of fishing.
Spent quite a bit of money on tackle before I realized it's a softly
rocking boat, solitude, a hot sun and a cool drink that makes fishing
good. Don't even care if catch some fish. Well...sometimes.

--Vic
Loogypicker
2009-07-01 14:44:03 UTC
Post by HK
Donations are being accepted by the Vail Valley Charitable Fund. Send
P.O. Box 1275,
Avon, 81620
Or call 970-845-6339. Mention the donation is for Tred Barta. Donations
are tax deductible, and credit card payments can be made via the
internet at:www.vvcf.org.
Wells Fargo Bank in Eagle has established the Tred and Anni Barta
medical fund. Call 970-328-6361 to learn more.
Business Editor Scott N. Miller can be reached at 970-748-2930 or
Nice cut and paste. Oh, I forgot, that's all you have.